Yesterday and today have been busy days for goodbyes, and quite frankly saying goodbye sucks. With military friends, you expect to have to say goodbye to them, but you know that there is a pretty good chance you will see them again. Maybe because we have lived here so long I was under the delusion that I’m from here. This place has become my home. When we drove in to Jacksonville in the dark of the morning in January of 1996, those are words I never thought I would say. However, this place has become a part of me, and saying goodbye to my friends who are from here has been harder than I imagined. Yesterday I saw my friend Marlene, who was my first assistant principal when I moved here. It hadn’t really dawned on me that I’ve known her as long as I have until I went to say goodbye to her yesterday. She knew me when I was a 24 year old just married girl who moved here and has seen me through five deployments. She’s also seen me go from teacher to administrator to mom. I also saw Jennifer yesterday, who was a teacher when I was a principal. She and I are cut from the same cloth and could probably pass for sisters based on some of our “hang ups.” It’s been fun to see her become a mom and then get to see our kids play together. Today I saw Cleo first. What can I say about Cleo other than she is one of the most loving generous people I have had the honor of knowing. She’s simply the greatest. She taught me more than she knows through her quiet example. Then I had lunch with Linda and Marilyn, great friends from my White Oak days. I know that when I’m with them I will always leave with my cheeks hurting from laughter. They are friends who simply make me feel good when I’m with them, at ease and able to be myself. My day ended with Judi (pictured above). From Judi I’ve learned just exactly what is meant by strength of character. She exemplifies this quality more than anyone I’ve ever known. As I write this, my eyes are filling with tears. I have been very blessed with wonderful friends who have become more like my family.
About Me
- Everyday adventures...
- Welcome to the world of twin preschoolers. Every day is an adventure! This blog is a way for me to share a little of what life is like with twin boys. The adventure never ends. On most days, they make me wonder what would happen if “babies drooled the world”! One thing I know for sure is they would win most of the battles! In an ideal world, I’d love to write children’s books. The title of this blog is obviously a play on words (If babies ruled the world). It came to me one day when I was wiping a drool covered face for probably the 100th time. I think it would be a fun title for a book. Maybe one day the boys’ adventures will inspire me to finally write that book. Until then, I’ll have fun wondering what truly would happen if babies drooled the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment